Automatic Grandland X Drivers.

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Hi all. Would like to know how you use yours when you stop the vehicle to park up. Interesting to know.

If I take my old car the VW Passat DSG. I was unable to start the car unless it was in P or I couldn’t switch off the engine unless it was in P. You couldn’t move the gear stick either unless your foot was on the brake and engine running.

Not the Grandland X. You can start in N and switch off the engine in N and you can move the gear lever without putting your foot on the brake, or the engine running. So clearly it’s completely different to my Passat in terms of how the gears work in this Grandland X.

So question. Do you park up, knock into P then pop the electric brake on, and switch off (As I had to do in my Passat)

Or do you pop into neutral, put on the electric hand brake and leave it there (as if it’s manual) because these cars can be started back up that way, unlike the Passat as my example… or do you then put into P as an additional safety measure?

Or do you do it in a different way and if so, what is that?

Thanks in advance.

Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

I have a Peugeot 2008 with the same engine and 8 speed AT gearbox. I simply come to a stop with foot on brake and turn the engine off, car automatically puts handbrake on never bother knocking it out of drive as car does that when you switch the ignition off. Our manual Grandland X also puts on the parking brake the moment you switch the ignition off.
2021B Grandland X Elite NAV
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Interesting to know that cyberbob. Might see if mine does that. I know the electronic button for the handbrake doesn’t really need to be pressed, but I do it to kinda still give me some traditional feel to a car.

Interesting on the just leaving it in D though.
Tenzer

Post by Tenzer »

I always put mine in park. I don't really know what the difference is between park and neutral (it's my first automatic car).

One thing that's annoying with putting it in park, is when the automatic start/stop stops the engine when I stop the car, but the engine then kicking back into into action as I put the gear lever to park, for me to then turn the engine off immediately again.

I don't ever touch the parking brake button and let the car engage/disengage as needed.
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Yeah. Bug bear of mine and the stop start switching the engine back on. Probably a Friday afternoon thought that part.

Interestingly though. Tried tonight leaving it in N, engaging the handbrake, switched the engine off. Got out the car and the dash board told me to also engage the parking brake, with 3 beeps to make me aware. So seems on mine (Grandland X Elite with snow mode) although you can potentially leave it in N the car doesn’t like it.

Anyone else get this notification?
Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

PeteW wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:49 pm Interesting to know that cyberbob. Might see if mine does that. I know the electronic button for the handbrake doesn’t really need to be pressed, but I do it to kinda still give me some traditional feel to a car.

Mine always starts back up in N too. I have the newer switch style push selector which is much better than the older Cobra style. I would only knock mine into park on an incline to lock the wheels, handbrake is fine on the flat. Being electronic on turning the ignition off it drops into N if you have not put ii into P.
2021B Grandland X Elite NAV
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Cyberbob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:02 pm
PeteW wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:49 pm Interesting to know that cyberbob. Might see if mine does that. I know the electronic button for the handbrake doesn’t really need to be pressed, but I do it to kinda still give me some traditional feel to a car.

Mine always starts back up in N too. I have the newer switch style push selector which is much better than the older Cobra style. I would only knock mine into park on an incline to lock the wheels, handbrake is fine on the flat. Being electronic on turning the ignition off it drops into N if you have not put ii into P.
Last edited by PeteW on Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

PeteW wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:17 pm
Cyberbob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:02 pm

Ahh…mines not that type. Mine is the cobra type. I think.
Harmsworth

Post by Harmsworth »

New member. Cannot see how to start new topic. Can't find the following answer anywhere in search.

Arrived home with newly purchased 2020 Grandland X hybrid Auto. Charge had reduced to empty. Don't get charging post until next week. My question - how do I force the engine to charge the battery when idling? I want to learn the functions and need some charge in it to do so.

Thanks
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Harmsworth wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:04 pm New member. Cannot see how to start new topic. Can't find the following answer anywhere in search.

Arrived home with newly purchased 2020 Grandland X hybrid Auto. Charge had reduced to empty. Don't get charging post until next week. My question - how do I force the engine to charge the battery when idling? I want to learn the functions and need some charge in it to do so.

Thanks

Click main menu. Click main chat, start new topic. Or maybe admin can move your part in here to a new post.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post