Bonnet corrosion

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
ianwat23

Post by ianwat23 »

I’ve just been checking my car over after I washed and cleaned it and have found rust starting to appear on the front edge of the bonnet, when I run your hand under the front lip I can feel rust all along the under edge. I’ve had a Quick Look online and it seems like a know problem is this true? What warranty comes with these cars now? Is it 3 years or 6? Again I’m confused by the online search.
Has anybody had this issue on their car? If so has it been sorted?
Cheers

GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hey ianwat23

Does it look like the damage is caused by a stone chip rather than the anti corrosion failing?

Just had a quick look and found this on the Vauxhall website

Warranty Against Rust Perforation

1. Subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions set out herein, Vauxhall guarantees new vehicles against perforation by corrosion of the bodywork (corrosion from inside to outside, perforation), where such perforation occurs as a result of defective materials or workmanship, providing that the vehicle has been used normally in the intended manner.

2 This Warranty applies for a period of six years (including Combo Life and Vivaro Life) and for Combo and Vivaro five years from delivery from the supplying Vauxhall Authorised Distributor or from first registration, whichever occurs first. For Vauxhall offered body conversions the warranty is valid for a period of three years. It is transferrable to future owners during this period w

ithout prior reference to Vauxhall. The service and warranty booklet must also be handed over to the next owner so that the benefit of the warranty against rust penetration is also transferred.

3.For the parts fitted during repair, until expiry of the warranty period, the same warranty is given as for the motor vehicle, i.e. the warranty is not extended by the repair or replacement of parts even for the parts repaired or replaced. Replaced parts become the property of Vauxhall.

4.The warranty against rust penetration is restricted to a Vauxhall Authorised Repairer restoring the vehicle to a condition corresponding to the normal wear on the vehicle according to age, mileage and state of maintenance at the time of repair. If the repair costs exceed the time value of the vehicle without the rust penetration damage covered by the warranty only the time value is remunerated..

5.The warranty is dependent on the anti-perforation inspections specified in this service and warranty booklet having been performed without omission by a Vauxhall Authorised Repairer and being documented by corresponding entries in this service and warranty booklet, and bodywork damage found to be at risk of corrosion due to external influences being repaired within two months from detection by a Vauxhall Authorised Repairer.

6.Any rust damage found in the interim must be presented immediately to a Vauxhall Authorised Repairer for repair. All warranty claims will expire at the end of the warranty period in accordance with Section 1. In the event of a rust penetration damage reported within the warranty period which is not rectified, the warranty period will continue to apply until this identified issue is rectified up to a maximum of two months following the end of the warranty period.

7.Interruption or restarting of the warranty period due to repair or evaluation of the complaint or negotiations on the circumstances surrounding the complaint is excluded.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
ianwat23

Post by ianwat23 »

The corrosion has no stone chips near it. I’ve had a better look and the whole underside of the bonnet is corroding.
I’ll try and phone my local Vauxhall dealer and see what they say about this.
I had a vectra c from it being 1 year old up until 2020 which was 13 years and the only sign of corrosion had just started on rear wheel arch. Not happy to say the least about this car rusting already.
Cheers for the rwply
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

No problem. Let us know how you get on.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator