Hybrid and E-Save & current battery levels

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
cphome06

Post by cphome06 »

Hi all,

In October I took delivery of a 2021 Grandland X Hybrid Business Nav and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Just had a couple of questions that if anyone can help with.

How much additional resource does it use if you run the car in E-Save mode Max - so that it charges the car from the Petrol engine whilst driving? Is it a big overhead in cost? I'm just thinking that if I'm doing a 150+ mile journey (in Hybrid mode) is it worth, once the battery is drained, turning on the charging of the battery using E-save and the petrol engine and then switching it off when the battery is full and then switching it on again later in the journey or will this work out very expensive?

And secondly, I've see many questions (and answers) around the Grandland X's battery range and I'm just interested what people are currently getting. Today in the UK it is 8 Deg C and I'm getting 13-15 at 100% charge. The car is parked outside at night.

Thanks and I'm sure that there will be more questions to come!

Chris

oldguynewcar

Post by oldguynewcar »

I have a 2023 Ultimate and I concur that the battery life seems woeful.
I haven't measured it but from a full charge the battery will be depleted in around 25-30 mins around town when driven in Hybrid mode. I don't see it being charged at all. After reaching 0% it stays there and never goes up.

I don't believe the battery is actually being charged at all even though the complicated graphic on the dash suggests it is.
jw021979

Post by jw021979 »

It will be charging the car but not enough to get it above 0 miles unless you turn on esave mode, this runs the engine all the time to charge the battery. Being a plug in hybrid to fully charge the battery you need to plug it in. Driving around town in hybrid mode will not produce enough charge from your braking to fully charge the battery.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

As I stated elsewhere on here the biggest killer is the heater and aircon, turn these off and use the regen brakeing as much as you can and you'll get into the 30's actual miles on pure electric providing you haven't negotiated too many steep hills, that's where the hybrid mode helps. I took mine into Eden Vauxhall as I was only getting 13 to 20 showing on a full charge and actually getting about 18 miles. The enginer explained that figure on a full charge is a guide only based on your current driving regime, he suggested switching off air con and heating and try that for a week, so from showing 13 to 20 it now shows 32 to 40 and I can get at least 30 actual miles on pure electric and over 50 with hybrid assist.
The esave works well but you will only be getting between 25 to 30 miles to the gallon so a bit expensive. Once the electric has depleted leave it in hybrid and there's normally enough charging to pull away etc like a normal self charging mild hybrid.
oldguynewcar

Post by oldguynewcar »

Okay.. so my understanding was incorrect. Thanks for enlightening me.. :)

But, what's the best/recommended way to drive the car? Should I leave it in Hybrid with 'B' mode or what?

I'm not really understanding the point of having a pure electric mode if I'm not even going to get to the shops and back.
jw021979

Post by jw021979 »

I get about 30 miles from my Hybrid at the mpment in full electric mode. Its what I expected when I got it and as most days I don't do more than 15 miles.
What sort of mileage are you doing a day?
oldguynewcar

Post by oldguynewcar »

Just curious.. what would happen if I leave the car in full electric mode and the battery runs empty?
Does it automatically revert to Hybrid and the engine kicks in or do I just grind to a halt on the M25?

I keep meaning to try it but I'm not brave enough to risk being rear-ended! :D
jw021979

Post by jw021979 »

If the battery gets to 0 miles it will switch to hybrid mode and the engine will kick in. To be honest you will hardly notice when it switches over, it definitely won't just stop.
oldguynewcar

Post by oldguynewcar »

Thanks. I was kinda hoping it would do that but there was a little voice in my head that wasn't convinced, given other non-sensical behaviour of this car.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post