Premature Cambelt Failure - 2018 Diesel

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
cleresaint

Post by cleresaint »

Grandland X 2018 diesel. no warranty - purchased from a Vauxhall subsidiary.

Car is currently sat with subsidiary, as it had to be looked at by them just to confirm cambelt is broke. They want £600 to fully strip engine to find out what's broken.

They have raised a case with Vauxhall UK - response is "I have just had a call from Vauxhall again and they explained that they do not contribute any costs to diagnostics. They do consider contributing toward repair costs on an individual basis, but they would require the vehicle to be fully diagnosed on your authority."

Subsidiary has reported to me the following: "I can confirm that the replacement interval on the cambelt on this vehicle is 10 years or 120,000 miles. So it would appear that the cambelt has failed prematurely. The current mileage of the vehicle is 73539"

Surely I have some kind of rights, the belt has only made half life.

Please can anyone help with any sound advice, it sounds corny but I am a NHS ambulance worker and want to keep costs down to a minimum.

Many thanks in advance.

ianwat23

Post by ianwat23 »

Is it the actual rubber cambelt or the cam timing chains?? Apparently there is a know fault with the 1.5 16v sty engine where the earlier models had a 7mm chain fitted which can snap and write the whole engine off. I thinks Vauxhall knows there’s a problem as they seem to be offering help with either part payment or all payment. Not 100% sure as I haven’t had this happen to mine yet, and I hope it doesn’t.
Let us know what the outcome is.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post