Wet timing belt disintegrated, new engine required outside warranty

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Chanchan80

Post by Chanchan80 »

Hi iv also had the dreaded "oil pressure fault, stop the vehicle" message had it coming 3 years and reg is 19 plate only done 26000 miles on it. I will also be contacting vauxhall as out with dealership warranty 😭

Kierang88

Post by Kierang88 »

Don’t drive the car if you’ve had the oil pressure warning come up Vauxhall told me with no message on my car a few more hundred miles and mine would of got starved of oil so with anyone getting the oil pressure warning your oil strainer is now so clogged it’s starving the engine of oil!
Chow123@

Post by Chow123@ »

Hi all, I have recently brought a Grandland X 1.2 turbo. 2020 plate with 30,000 miles.
The oil level low light has been coming on intermittently for about a week now and after some research online I have found this group.
I have only had the car 2 weeks so it’s disappointing that I have issues with it already. From what I have read on here it seems to start with an oil “pressure” light rather than a “level” light so I may be wrong for my one and it might just be something simple.
I’m in a quandary as have the 30 day cooking off period on the vehicle so after seeing all these comments I’m thinking of rejecting the car to the sellers. The problem I have really is that I won’t have a car and I paid my new one on PCP so I could be without a car for a while anf cant guarantee I would get another loan so soon after taking this one out.
I would like to think I would be covered for the wet belt by the selling garage due to how new the sale is so that will be fine but I suppose my worry would be - what’s gonna stop it from happening in another 30K? (For me that’s only 2 1/2 years 😢
I was planning on keeping the car for just under 4 years due to being on PCP.
Does anyone know about whether VX have made any improvements with these belts in order to make them last longer?
Someone has advised to get the oil changed every 5 months going forward but I am not sure if that’s a bit excessive.
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

I was told Friday after my car was serviced, that the wetbelt had failed. I was told not to drive it. Part ordered, but there is a backlog for the part. I'm now without a car and cannot get a courtesy car. Don't know how long the wait is. I have a grandland x 1.2 engine. The car is a 19 plate.
daveb1089

Post by daveb1089 »

Hi kaz
Exactly the same thing happened to me. Ring Customer Care and get them to authorise you to hire a car and that they will pay for it once your car is fixed. I hired one for 7 weeks whilst I waited for the parts to arrive, (9 days) and then they couldn’t fit them until 5 weeks later due to their schedule ☹️. A bit of argy bargy with CC but they did pay in full eventually, so worth persuing.
Daveb1089
Grandland X 1.2 20 (70) Elite Nav Premium Turbo, LED Headlights, 8 Speed Gearbox. Moon Roof 19” wheels, Folding/Dipping Door Mirrors, Heated and Ventilated Leather Seats, Heated Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel. Foot-kicker Boot Opener, Blue
Kierang88

Post by Kierang88 »

Chow23 take the car back if you’ve only just bought it and the oil light has come on it’s not worth all the shit that comes with it, mine only had top up oil every few weeks and my oil strainer was partly clogged with wet belt particles so you’ve on the first stage of the problem the oil pressure light is when things have gone to the extent of stop driving the car I’d just take it back! Only other thing I can think of is if your getting the oil light and your oil level is low quite a lot it’s one of three things and that would be spark plugs burnt out/carbon build up on the valves or the fuel your using I only use bp and bp ultimate petrol every other fill up these 1.2 t petrol engines don’t like the cheap fuel. Hope any of this helps.
Kierang88

Post by Kierang88 »

IMG_1027.png

IMG_1026.png

For anyone interested this is my oil pump strainer with bits of wet belt in it if you’ve got anyway to get the sump pan off this will give you a true idea of your cars condition.
kmr123

Post by kmr123 »

Same as happened with our Grandland X 2019 plate 43000 miles unable to drive
Full service history, last 2 not carried out by Vauxhall, Vauxhall refused to help without us coughing up a stupid amount of money
Does anyone have contact email for the CEO , I refuse to accept they will not help , I can’t believe how many of us are having the same problem
Thanks in advance
kmr123

Post by kmr123 »

Chow23 I would 100% take the car back
pipx

Post by pipx »

Hi, I bought a 2018 X SPORT NAV T D SS, 1499cc back in January.

Last week the engine cut out whilst driving and would not restart. It did come up with a warning message along the lines of "stop and don't drive" but I was in heavy traffic and in such a panic i cannot remember what else lit up at the moment it cut out. I called the RAC who did a diagnostic test and showed "Crankshaft Position-Camshaft Position Correlation" fault, plus "Fuel Rail pressure Low During Engine Cranking". The garage I had bought it from was just round the corner. The engine then started but the RAC chap told me not to drive it home. instead I drove it onto the garage forecourt and called them to explain what had happened. the next day they had a look at it and could find nothing wrong. no errors. They drove it and said it was fine.

Having now read about the wet belt issues with these cars I am very concerned - is there any way of knowing if this model has a wet belt? Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a wet belt problem?

Thanks in advance

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post