Wet timing belt disintegrated, new engine required outside warranty

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
ACW

Post by ACW »

For all the people that have had problems with "wet belt problems".
Spoke to mate that has a garage, he said it us down to belt disintegrating in the oil. He also said if wrong oil used it accelerates the process.
Have had quote today for
New filter, oil, belt etc.... £600 to £700.

I'm into Vauxhall next week. Let's see what they have to say.

Mark.C

Post by Mark.C »

Well mine has gone down this route. 31,000 miles. The engine repair light came and the orange spanner. Switched off and it disappeared. Only to come back on a short while later. Took it to my garage and the linked up the diagnostic images attached, clearly showing the wet timing belt issue. So it is booked into Vauxhall on the 26th earliest date!! for a diagnostic. bear in mind it has a full Vauxhall Service history and I asked back in march if my car was one of the engines effected. "Oh no we cannot tell, we do not know"!

Anhow contacted customer services and I have just sent an email off to the CEO dept. Paul.Willcox@vauxhall.co.uk. So lets see what happens.

Image 5.jpg

Image 4.jpg

Grandland X Elite Nav White Jade. Panoramic roof and mudflaps, Nextbase 412 dashcam and an aftermarket reverse camera thats all it needs. :)
ACW

Post by ACW »

Took the car to local Vauxhall dealership. They have agreed to change belt, filter and clean out engine under a special extended warrantee. I was told this is available for cars under 5 years old. I believe they know about the wet belt issue and were more than happy to help. Told parts have been ordered and it will take 2 days to repair. Only outlay is I have had to hire car.
new2GLX

Post by new2GLX »

Can I ask what grade of oil was used at last few services?
October 2021 and 2022 they have used 0w/20 on mine
Grandland X Elite Nav 1.2 in black
Been buying Vauxhall’s since 1987
Tony211053

Post by Tony211053 »

Hi new2GLX

My car is a Grandland X 2019 Sports Nav 1.2 auto and my garage (an extremely trustworthy independent) have used fully synthetic 0w-20 oil at each service.
According to the Vauxhall owners manual for an engine code of EB2ADTS which my 1.2 petrol is, in country group 1 (United Kingdom) , either an oil of 0w-20 or 0w-30 can be used.

So far the mileage on mine is approaching 20k, next year when it is 4 year old I am considering having the timing belt changed due to some 1.2 petrol engines having belt disintegrating issues - hopefully better be safe than sorry - would be better if Vauxhall put these engines on a recall for the timing belt as they know there is a big issue with them.

Countries included in country groups 1 to 3
Engine Codes
EB2FA
EB2ADT
EB2ADTS
EP6FADTXD
DV5RC
DV5RD
DV5RE

Required engine oil quality

Vauxhall Original engine oil B71 2010 / B71 2312
Country groups 1-3
B71 2010 (SAE 0w-20) B71 2312 (SAE 0w-30)
Mark.C

Post by Mark.C »

Just an update on my car. It was taken into Arnold Clark last week by the AA. It went through the diagnostics and it was confirmed the belt was disintegrating. When it was booked in away back in Oct, the reception staff did say was I looking for Vauxhall to make a contribution. we know the history of this complaint.

My first course of action was to contact Customer Services and also the CEO making a complaint. Don't get me wrong there has been no dragging of feet by Vauxhall on this. Yesterday Arnold Clark phoned me to say Vauxhall will be covering the £1500 costs, all I can say is phew. Unfortunately it cannot be repaired for at least a few weeks as first the parts have to arrive and secondly AC have no spaces for work like this as they have other major jobs on as well. So I contacted the CEO email and they have contacted the dealer to expedite the repair as soon as the parts arrive.

It has been a nightmare so I am looking at at least the end of this month if I am lucky.

On the other hand I have been lucky in the fact as soon as the warnings came up on the dashboard, and with the knowledge of the forum the car was never driven again. This I think saved the engine. But having the full Vauxhall Service history and owning it since new had a part to play in the costs being met.

So if your car starts to display any of the symptoms mentioned on this thread. Do not ignore them, get it checked.

Mark
Grandland X Elite Nav White Jade. Panoramic roof and mudflaps, Nextbase 412 dashcam and an aftermarket reverse camera thats all it needs. :)
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Thanks for the update Mark.C and good to hear they are covering the costs. Hoepfully you will be able to enjoy the car again soon.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Mark.C

Post by Mark.C »

Just en route to pick up a courtesy car. It is being repaired under a special warranty as it is outwith its warranty. My view was if it is under warranty then you get a courtesy car. As this is classified as a special warranty then the courtesy car should be available.

The customer service and ceo dept have been great over this.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Amazing News we had a the same great service with our Meriva out of Warranty.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Mark.C

Post by Mark.C »

You could not make it up. Vauxhall have a new convoluted way using an app to accept the hire car. Anyhow that is not the point. Whilst doing checks and walk around the car, low and behold the front off side tyre was illegal. Lucky if there was 1mm of tread around the outer circumference. I refused it but Eurocar are saying it was checked before being delivered, my view that is rubbish.

Arnold Clark are dealing with it and another is being delivered for tomorrow and they will check it as well. AC dropped me home and I suspect they will pick me up in the morning.

It was chucking it down but I am so glad I went over it or it could have been 6 points £200 fine

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post