Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
boyleD1

Post by boyleD1 »

Hi All

I have a 68 plate Grandland x does it have the same issues

do I contact Vauxhall and ask the question

GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hi boyleD1 You could try contacting your dealership and asking them if this issue affects your car however they may advise they cant say or as your not having issues they cant advise.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
dmurdoch1989

Post by dmurdoch1989 »

Hi All,
Thought I'd throw my experience in as well in case it could help someone.
I've had the issue of the belt disintegrating. I broke down on the 4th of December, managed to get it home and into Vauxhall 2 weeks later as this was the only availability they had. They diagnosed the problem and took it upon themselves to approach customer care with the problem as it was out of warranty (18 Plate). They agreed to fix the car at no cost to me. I finally got the car back on 7th of January. Luckily, I hadn't got to a point of needing a new engine.

I've seen comments on here that it is only 2017 or earlier this affects but given mine is an '18, it would appear Vauxhall are admitting responsibility for this. This was Drive Vauxhall in Hartlepool I used. Not the most helpful when it comes to a courtesy car but didn't try to pull the wool over my eyes and charge me either.

Unfortunately, I did break down the following day. Engine Misfire. spark plugs removed and put back with the same ignition coils. Problem hasn't come back. May be the dealer didn't tighten something during the repair, who knows.

Another point, Vauxhall have changed the grade of oil they used. Mine has had main dealer service since new with 5w30. On this repair, they have used 0w30 instead. Mite be worth noting as everywhere I look, it still points at 5w30.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully you can enjoy your car now.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland@18

Post by Grandland@18 »

I am suffering this on an 18 plate with 40k on the clock. Engine warning came on Christmas Eve. AA error was oil pressure switch. Originally told Vauxhall couldn’t look at it until 29th Jan. Got a cancellation call so car went in last week. Have been told it’s the cam belt issue & could be £2500! Out of warranty but they have agreed goodwill gesture of 30%
Will take at least a week or more to get parts then maybe another week to complete.
The chap helping me has said they’ve had 3 18 plates with the same issue. Recommendation for cam belt on these is 6 years or 80,000 so surely this cause for a better contribution from Vauxhall. I’ve had 3 new Vauxhalls in the last 10 years, never had an issue like this
edgejedi

Post by edgejedi »

Thanks for the update Grandland@18 and sorry to hear of the significant charge!!!!

Im at pretty much the same stage at the moment with a service soon. I'll be watching for the results when they have a look at mine...
Jase
Grandland 2018, Sport Nav 1.2 (130), Ruby Red
Chrismc59

Post by Chrismc59 »

Hi,

I’ve just returned from Vauxhall and been told that my 2018 Grandland X has a wet timing belt issue that will take £900 to fix. The car has 40,000 miles on the clock, full Vauxhall service history and we’ve owned since new. It is 12-months out of warranty.

We’ve had the engine warning light pop on for a week, called RAC out and they couldn’t find a fault and, due to a busy local workshop, couldn’t get the car in until today.

I’ve scanned briefly through this site and it would appear that this is a common fault? Anyone any ideas on how I should proceed? We’ve been advised to call customer services to complain - which we obviously will do, but any advice would be appreciated.
Cargo42

Post by Cargo42 »

Hi Grandlanders, I have a 2019 Grandland X 1.2T 130ps Elite N Auto - Quartz Grey. Further to the information regarding cam belts and in particular the oil, my vehicle had a service recently and I asked the main dealer (Edens Bournemouth) what type of engine oil is used and they stated it can be either 0W20 or 0W30. It appears that they have changed from the 05/30 that was put in originally, not that I know or notice any difference. With regards to the cam belt, does anyone know exactly when and if the belt was up rated? Safe and enjoyable driving to all.
Baronoli

Post by Baronoli »

dmurdoch1989 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:52 am
Another point, Vauxhall have changed the grade of oil they used. Mine has had main dealer service since new with 5w30. On this repair, they have used 0w30 instead. Mite be worth noting as everywhere I look, it still points at 5w30.
Good point on the oil. Mine was done with 0w20 first service after the cam belt disintegrated back in early 2020 (service Jan 21). Found the 0w20 burnt off so easily, topping it up every 800 miles. Told the main dealer on my service yesterday and they made sure 5w30 went in as they agreed it could be this.
Old Grandland (Sold 'Nov 22):
Elite Nav 1.2 Ameythyst Purple

New Grandland
Ultimate PHEV - Cobalt Blue
edgejedi

Post by edgejedi »

Had my car in for service and MOT yesterday, had a nice chat with the service team about the wet timing belt issue. Due to access issues they said they couldn't 'check' mine. It was more a question of waiting for the engine management light to come on. Nice. Said they had a few cases of it already though....

0W20 oil went in... lets see how that goes....
Jase
Grandland 2018, Sport Nav 1.2 (130), Ruby Red

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post