Hybrid electric battery range

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
den3el

Post by den3el »

Another update about the battery range. Driving in Spain on GrandlandX Hybrid - the computer was showing me the predicted range of 32km. I have installed a home charger, so the battery was full.
After driving 44km I still had a capacity of 14km.
My average consumption was 16kW/h per my trip. I was driving in the city with avg speed of 40km/h and outside on the highway with an average speed of 80-90km/h.
So, really, nothing to blame about the battery. It is even better than in the advertisement.
Grandland X Hybrid

den3el

Post by den3el »

One more update regarding the battery range. Yesterday, I had a 62km (38 miles) trip, including steep up-hills and down-hills. And my Grandland made 59km in the electric mode.
Today, after full charge, the indicator shows 56km of the full range. I have never seen such distance before.
I was driving with minimum braking. The temperature outside was 15 degrees.

My conclusion on the topic of the battery - the range of EV depends only on the style of driving. Even the criteria of the environmental temperature are not so important if it is not dropping below 10 C, I guess.
Before, using petrol Opel Corsa 1.4 I was spending a minimum of 5 litres of petrol for the same trip, which is equal to 8 EUR. Now, it costs only 13.8kw * 0.14 cents =~ 2 EUR
Hybrid cars are totally worth it.

IMG_3977.jpg

Grandland X Hybrid
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Great to hear that the Hybrid is working for you.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
huffy

Post by huffy »

Range does appear to be very weather dependent in the UK. When it was warmer I could get an expected range of 38 miles and manage up to 40 miles driving carefully. Now the temperature has dropped I've been getting a maximum expected range of up to 28 miles and managed up to 30.
Grandland X Hybrid 4
brucey

Post by brucey »

Hi all, I want to do the maths to work out if the Grandland hybrid will work for me. Of course the manufacturers are absolutely useless at telling the truth about hybrids and the governments don't force them to publish the numbers so we can work out if a hybrid is a good green alternative or not.. maybe you guys can help!

Daily commute is something like 12 miles so that should be all electric but every two weeks some visiting family is required which is a 100 mile round trip on the motorway . Not sure if I'll be able to get any charging at the 50 mile point, but best case I should. This may mean that I'm over the mileage break even point and will be burning a lot of petrol. From much googling it appears that the petrol engine in the Hybrid is a 1.6 turbo which returns allegedly 44mpg(?) in best possible conditions, I sat in a dealer car this weekend and it had 36mpg on the clock, that seems a bit more likely, (because of course dealers run their batteries flat and never charge the cars.. they don't seem to want to sell these at all). Can anyone confirm what the actual real world petrol-only gas mileage is of the Grandland Hybrid? Many thanks in advance!
-
Grandland Ultimate Nav 2020 Hybrid 4 :x
huffy

Post by huffy »

My first three tanks of fuel, driving around Scotland then back to Essex as follows:-
277 miles, 40.99 mpg.
326 miles, 49.12 mpg.
446 miles, 53.15 mpg.
The first tank was driving at around 70 mph, the other two were more relaxed, maybe a couple of full charges on the second two. This is correct MPG not as indicated by the car, though to be fair the indicated MPG is quite close.
Since getting back from Scotland I have currently done around 1250 miles on a bit over half a tank of fuel. That's mainly driving local just on Battery with a couple of longer trips, all starting out with a full charge, but not charging for the return. That's in about two and a half months and an indicated MPG of about 230.
In the summer the car would show a range of between 36 and 40 miles and driving carefully I could get over 40 miles on a full charge, but that is driving carefully. It can be tempting to put the car in Sports mode, The Hybrid 4 is really quite quick in Sports mode, but will use a lot of fuel.
Now the weather is a lot colder I'm seeing a maximum range of up to 22 miles :o.

For me the car works, as most of my normal driving is local, but if I can still get around 50 mpg on a trip out, I will be happy with that.
Grandland X Hybrid 4
brucey

Post by brucey »

huffy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:05 pm My first three tanks of fuel, driving around Scotland then back to Essex as follows:-
277 miles, 40.99 mpg.
326 miles, 49.12 mpg.
446 miles, 53.15 mpg.
Cool, if that's the case then that's really not bad for a petrol engine. I think if you can sneak in some charges it goes a long way towards dropping your MPG... thanks!
-
Grandland Ultimate Nav 2020 Hybrid 4 :x
huffy

Post by huffy »

A small point that to be honest I didn't realise until I had agreed to buy the car, is that the Road Tax is £480 per year, ouch !
Grandland X Hybrid 4
huffy

Post by huffy »

Fuel consumption update.

Put fuel in the car today for the first time since 14th September.
During that time I have done 1745 miles, as mentioned before, mainly short trips, and kept the car charged. That is an actual MPG of 245, the trip meter showed 256.
I have also spent around £85 on electricity, charging the car. According to my calculations that works out at about 7.5 pence per mile combined, which I'm pleased with.
Last year wasn't a typical year, and I would normally expect to do more longer runs, so I will see how it goes this year. And as mentioned previously, the temperature really makes a lot of difference to battery range, so I expect to see it drop until the weather gets warmer.
Grandland X Hybrid 4
huffy

Post by huffy »

Moss5

I filled up today for the first time since 14 September, car's been running on electric with no problems since then.
Any idea how long without putting petrol in the car it took for the message about fuel being too old to pop up?
Grandland X Hybrid 4

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post