Hybrid electric battery range

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Witwicky217

Post by Witwicky217 »

have a grandland X Hybrid as my company vehicle. I have had the vehicle for less than one month. The vehicle is great and I love it, however the first couple of weeks of driving it I was getting 37 miles range on the electric battery and all was well, however, I seem to only get a maximum of 16 miles range on it when using the hybrid mode, this seems incredibly low it’s incredibly frustrating to charge the car for a 5 or 6 period to only get 16 miles out of the car. I have not changed driving style, I am very easy on the accelerator, I don’t have all the electrics in the vehicle running, I often drive the car in braking mode often, I have also read the manual and I can’t see that I’m missing anything, is there anything I should be doing to extend the range of the vehicles battery mode or is that the car likely to be faulty. Maybe there’s just some sort of setting wrong on the car or that needs adjusting. I would appreciate someone taking some time to give me some advice or is the car likely to be faulty and do I need to book it in with a dealer?

Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

Go to 2.27
My 'fully charged' condition is a dissappointing 18 miles, or 21 miles.
I could now drive 21 miles, just to discover the truth.
Since all published MPG figures are pure fantasy, why bother.

Screenshot_20201108-183125 21 miles.jpg

22 miles fully charged.jpg

2020 Hybrid 4
Witwicky217

Post by Witwicky217 »

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me on this. I was expected battery performance to drop over time but wasn't expecting around 50 % drop in range in the course of around there weeks!
Witwicky217

Post by Witwicky217 »

So now I'm wondering after 6 hours charging and a 16-mile range how economical is it?
zice

Post by zice »

don't forget electric range is exterior temperature dependent (among many other factors).

under 17C the battery conditioning kicks in, meaning the colder it gets outside, the more energy it will need to bring (and keep) the battery pack at a normal operating temp. The GLX has active battery cooling, meaning it cools the pack in the summer (above 25C) and warms it below 17C. These are the temperature limits i found from my experience to be the "triggers". Simply because between 17-25C i got the best range, sometimes even 67km (41mi).

Now in sub 10C temperatures, i get 32-34km (20-21mi).
It helps also to keep the car in a garage overnight, so the starting temperature is not so low as outside.
Also preconditioning your car via app may help, while still hooked up to the charger of course.
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

Thank you zice for your explanation, there is a job for you at Peugeot, writing the owners manuals.
2020 Hybrid 4
ashbybrewer

Post by ashbybrewer »

I have only done 300 miles and my max battery range has already dropped down to 22 miles. I was hoping to charge a couple of times a week but have to charge every day as battery drains away so fast even driving in B mode.
zice

Post by zice »

ashbybrewer wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:31 pm I have only done 300 miles and my max battery range has already dropped down to 22 miles. I was hoping to charge a couple of times a week but have to charge every day as battery drains away so fast even driving in B mode.
what's your exterior temperature nowadays?
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Vauxhall say range is 'up to 35 miles' per full charge and an equivalent 204 mpg.
The theory, MY VIEW OF THE COSTS.

The average cost of 1 kWh of electricity being circa 20 p.
The time to charge the battery being 4 hours.
Cost of charge 80 p
So we divide the 35 miles by 80p giving the distance 1p will get you, = 0.43 miles.
Cost of 4.5 litre of fuel (1 gal) roughly £5.00 at time of tests.
500p multiplied by 0.43miles/p equals 215 miles. (electric mode only!)

The figures are approximate but I believe that is how they reach the figure of 204.

A friend of mine had a Mitsubishi plug in hybrid, said to achieve 160 mpg... On a trip back from France it achieved 36mpg.
The only way to achieve the 160 figure is to run only on the electric mode, short runs!
That particular vehicle does up to 30 miles per charge!
The government have now come to realise that these cars are not as 'green' as first considered, business users will be running mainly a 2.0 petrol engine vehicle.

Anyway, this is my view of the hybrid vehicle.
zice

Post by zice »

well, my view is that i'm still halfway thru my 3rd petrol tank after 7700km

and i don't think it's (any) government's fault that business users aren't capable of a simple calculation based on their driving profile before buying or leasing a car. They all jump up 10 stories high for tax incentives or green subsidies, then complain they get whatever l/100km / mpg values lower than "the marketed value", when it's clear as daylight those values are for the FIRST 100km (or miles) and with a full battery.

i for sure won't do any business with such "business" users.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post