Rear twin fog light upgrade

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Hi EliteEstate,
The point I was looking at is if the standard rear fog arrangement is lhs only, then there will likely not be any wiring on the rhs.
Conversely, if some models have a rear fog on both sides then there will be a good chance of available wiring.

ianwat23

Post by ianwat23 »

As far as I know the uk spec grandland x has only 1 fog light on the drivers side. I’m only wanting to add the passenger side fog light as in today’s traffic with people driving too fast for the conditions AND being on their phones it should hopefully give them a clue a car is in front of them when it is bad weather. I have managed to do this with a few of my cars in the past and in my opinion it looks better as both sides are equal and it suits the style of the car too. How hard would it have been for the manufacturer to just add 2 more wires in the loom and the extra bulb fitted???
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Mine only has the 1 rear fog but didn't know if this is the standard. I'll check again tomorrow because, from memory, I thought mine was on the nearside and not the offside.
I am aware, after wiring in towbar electrics recently, the vehicle has additional 'spare' wiring plugs and sockets attached to the loom but, without good wiring diagrams it is difficult to establish their possible use.
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Correction !
Have checked my rear fog and it is on the offside of the car, sensible when only the one.
The nearside boot mounted light cluster does have the fog housing moulded in as standard, as for wiring and cluster circuit, removal and examination would confirm. Even then, if everything is favourable, a recode may be necessary to initiate its use.
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Taken the nearside unit out and taken the following photograph:

As can be seen at the bottom of the fitting, a plastic circular 'blank' covers the locating hole for fog lamp fitted in left-hand drive models.

IMG_20210123_143107.jpg

Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Whilst it looks like a possibility to convert, there is still plenty of work required, not sure it's worth it, certainly not for me anyway. Over the last few years, don't think I've used fog lights that often and my annual milage has been between 14000 and 20000. Fog has to reduce visibility to 100m before use but some drivers forget to switch them off or put them on when it's only light mist. Front fogs regularly misused too.
Pvb

Post by Pvb »

I do not think it increases safety on the road, on the contrary People will think you use your brakes and react by braking also. I do not think also that 2 lights are more visible than one.
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

👍✔️
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

I've seen cars with one and with two rear fog lights and must say having two looks way better. Rear fog lights are very often misused in this country but that's just stupidity of the driver unfortunately.

When it comes to braking tho, I think it's very easy to spot the difference. For starters the rear fog lights are located more towards the middle of the car rather than the outside of the light cluster. Additionally all cars have 3rd brake light which I must say I have never seen one fail and that's a very obvious indication that the car is braking.

As for front fog lights... I honestly cannot see a single problem with people using them without fog. I myself always have them switched on and I notice a lot of other drivers have them on too. They are aimed at the road right in front of you rather than straight ahead like normal headlights so they are far from blinding anyone (with the exception of ants and other insects on the road) and A) provide extra visibility in front and towards the sides of the vehicle and B) make the car more visible to others.
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Interestingly, your first paragraph indicates misuse of fog lights and yet you indicate you always have yours on.
The law indicates use of fog lights when visibility is less than 100m, having them on at any other time means misuse surely?
Fog lights for use in fog only.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post