Is this usual?

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
gamerouche

Post by gamerouche »

During the last week or so when the weather has been cold & frosty, on getting into the car, i've noticed that the interior window surfaces of my 19 Reg Grandland X (10,200Miles) to be very damp. Not sure if this is condensation? I don't remember having this problem last winter & even during The Beast from the East when I had an Astra I never noticed anything amiss. I made sure all the windows were properly closed. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a solution?

Regards Gam

AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Hi. You arent alone in suffering this issue. I have experienced a damp inside front screen and instrument dials since i purchased my Grandland x. I get this issue mainly in the winter. I have to wait for the air conditioning fans to clear the condensation before i drive off. This actually clears the passenger side better and faster, obviously set up for left hand drive car.
I havent bothered to do anything about this issue, having experienced Vauxhall customer services in the past……which are a waste of time.
If anybody has any ideal as to why this happens, and maybe a way to stop this happening, please feel free to share your knowledge………..
Grandland Sport Nav, diesel auto. Black.....march 2018
brucey

Post by brucey »

It is entirely normal. There is not a lot you can do about physics. If you come back from a drive on a cold day, the air inside your car will be loaded with moisture (because its warm) and when it cools, all the water will condense out, because cold air can't contain as much water as warm air (that's how clouds work and why they are at 5000ft where it is nearly freezing, you lose 1C in warmth with every 500ft you climb). It seems to be more of a problem in my experience with cars with old leather interiors that soak up moisture, the more plush the worse the situation.. if your Astra had plastic seats and was newer, then it likely wouldn't be so bad.

If it bothers you, I'd run the aircon in winter and make sure it is NOT on recirculation mode, so it keeps the inside of the car as dry as possible, and also run it as cold as you dare, maybe run it for 15 minutes at ultra low setting before you end your journey but even then I doubt it would make much impact because if its freezing outside there will still be a lot of moisture in the air in the car (and in your seats) and a big temperature difference, so even if you try and remove all that steamy air from your car, it's probably still damp in there... Of course you could trade in for a Hybrid4 and run up the car on preconditioning mode so when you get in it, all the moisture will be back in the air again rather than on your windscreen but this could be a bit of an expensive solution!
-
Grandland Ultimate Nav 2020 Hybrid 4 :x