Struggling for a smooth drive

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Groovyblues

Post by Groovyblues »

Hi all,

I’ve had the Grandland for a couple of weeks now and generally quite like the car.

However, I’m really struggling to drive the car smoothly, especially driving in 2nd and going into 2nd. I’m not really sure of the best way to describe my issue, so please bear with me!

When driving in 2nd, when I get to a speed bump or similar, the car starts to jerk, almost like the shocks are kaput. At first I’ve put it down to two things, one, I’m still trying to get used to the car and two, the suspension is the softest suspension on a car I’ve ever owned and maybe I’m inadvertently moving my foot on the accelerator. However, I feel like I’ve got used to the car well enough by now. It doesn’t seem to have the same effect when driving in higher gears in the same situation.

Does anyone else struggle with a similar issue and to drive the car smoothly?

It’ll be good to hear your thoughts. Of course, I could just be being a crap driver and still need to work on getting used to the car!

A

Russell B

Post by Russell B »

Hi there,
Just a thought, have you got the lane departure warning activate ?.
I had the same problem until I realised as I drove over the speed bumps the car sensed the central white lines and tried to pull me back over.
It may be worth a look.
Have a great day.
Russell B and Martha ( my grandland x )
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hi

Its quite a notchy gearbox compared to my Previous Mokka X overtime you will get used to it. It can be snatchy if you try to rush the change but I am sure once you've driven it a bit more you will be fine.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Groovyblues

Post by Groovyblues »

Russell B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:30 am Hi there,
Just a thought, have you got the lane departure warning activate ?.
I had the same problem until I realised as I drove over the speed bumps the car sensed the central white lines and tried to pull me back over.
It may be worth a look.
Have a great day.
Russell B and Martha ( my grandland x )
Hi Russell,

Thanks. I’ve got the lane departure warning, it just annoyingly bleeps away, doesn’t actively react to anything. Good shout though.

A
Groovyblues

Post by Groovyblues »

GRANDLANDX68 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:35 pm Hi

Its quite a notchy gearbox compared to my Previous Mokka X overtime you will get used to it. It can be snatchy if you try to rush the change but I am sure once you've driven it a bit more you will be fine.
I think you may be right. I am much smoother now since I posted, but still catches me out. I’ve realised, it doesn’t seem to like quick changes and doesn’t like to accelerate a little bit harder than usual in first and second.

A
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Groovyblues wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:47 pm
GRANDLANDX68 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:35 pm Hi

I think you may be right. I am much smoother now since I posted, but still catches me out. I’ve realised, it doesn’t seem to like quick changes and doesn’t like to accelerate a little bit harder than usual in first and second.

A
👍.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

Took me months to drive the manual smoothly. I put it down to the feel of the clutch pedal which has an unusually high bite point. I find I have to put the seat back further than I'm used to, so to get a smooth take off. Gearbox though is lovely, but I think my next GX will be an auto! If yours is the petrol, sometimes the turbo catches me out in second as you do need to be moving at reasonable speed and have decent revs before you can get smoothly into 2nd. I still try and drive it too slow in 2nd sometimes as I'm used to previous cars including diesels... but otherwise I love the 1.2 Puretech engine.
Groovyblues

Post by Groovyblues »

Yes, the 1.2 pure tech. It’s growing on me, I do a 60mile round trip to work and average around 47-48mpg, I’m sure I can improve that if I really try, but can’t complain at that, it’s only a couple mpg less than my previous Insignia.

I’ve tried changing into 2nd quickly and after giving it higher revs, both seem to be jerky. Much smoother now but releasing the clutch a little bit slower than I normally would have, and still catches me out sometimes. I have come from diesels for the last few years and just adjusting to driving with higher revolutions has not come as quickly as I would have thought! It’s like I’ve got to re wire my brain! But getting there now. I find changing into most gears around 2.5 - 3k is fairly smooth, my previous car I was changing at just under 2k.