Droplink Issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Baronoli

Post by Baronoli »

Hi all,

Had a weird issue with a noise coming when simultaneously braking and turning the wheel.

There's a few downhill roundabouts where I live, meaning I have to brake when going around to an extreme exit. There's then a knocking sound, like a drive shaft style problem. It also does it when manuvering whilst braking into a parking space.

The car went into Vauxhall and after some faffing with what they thougth were stones rolling around the underbody engine guard, they come to the conclusion it must be a droplink issue which is a known problem on the Grandland X's - they are ordering these in and replacing when they can. Anyone else had issues similar? Not seen anything on the web...
Old Grandland (Sold 'Nov 22):
Elite Nav 1.2 Ameythyst Purple

New Grandland
Ultimate PHEV - Cobalt Blue

Dave44

Post by Dave44 »

I've had my grandland x for about a month and now got a knocking noise when I turn after a t junction I've took it back to VAUXHALL they said it is the drop link but have not got a gatter kit to go on it as they have got none in the uk so I have to wait two weeks for one
Baronoli

Post by Baronoli »

I waited the 2 weeks, had the drop links replaced and it still does it. A senior technician went out on the road test with the head of servicing, plugged it into the laptop and the software has said its the ABS and its normal. Strange I haven't noticed it since owning the car since February 2018, but hey ho. I have it in writing that its normal too, so I'm semi-happy!

New Grandland
Dave44

Post by Dave44 »

I've took mine back again today same the tech took it for a test drive then put it on a ramp n said it was the drive shaft n wasn't safe to drive so they given me a courtesy car
Baronoli

Post by Baronoli »

Dave44 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:45 pm I've took mine back again today same the tech took it for a test drive then put it on a ramp n said it was the drive shaft n wasn't safe to drive so they given me a courtesy car
It did sound like something with the driveshafts to me, but they ensured me they had everything dissasembled and put back and found no issues. Concious that I'll be in the last year of my warranty next year, I'll raise it as service to check again...

New Grandland
Alan Bater

Post by Alan Bater »

I have a Grandland X which had this annoying knocking noise , it’s a 2018 Reg. I took it to my local Vauxhall dealer who stated it had just run out of warranted. He stated it would cost £90.00 just to look at it. I took it to my local garage who took it for a short drive. The owner said it was a drop link problem, I book it in for the next day. Both drop links at front were replaced for a total cost of £80.00 including labour. GREAT. Last week same noise returned, took it back, boss said passenger side had a faulty link and replaced it no extra charge. No problems since, annoying noise gone.
ianwat23

Post by ianwat23 »

I had the drop links on my 2018 grandland changed a few weeks after I bought it I’m 2020, apparently it’s a known problem. The car has started to knock a little bit again and the missus can feel the knock under her feet in the passenger seat so it looks as though the genuine Vauxhall drop links last about 2 years or so.
jw021979

Post by jw021979 »

I picked up my 2020 Grandland X Hybrid4 today from my local dealer. As part of the predelivery checks they had to replace the droplinks. The car only has 10000 miles on it

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post