whining transmission

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
canalview98

Post by canalview98 »

Having had my Grandland x turbo since end of May, I quickly noticed a 'whining' noise when travelling about 40 mph upwards, in 4th 5th 6th gear usually when not under acceleration. I liken it to an old type crown wheel and pinion transmission noise (on an old bus) when they were getting worn after 70 or 80 thousand. It is very annoying, and the radio is always on to deflect it, my wife constantly goes on about it, and I can only see that it will get worse not better. When I went to my local Arnold Clark dealer the service manager took me out in his and it did the same, and he said that the one before that did it also. Obviously now thinking this is a production issue, and not knowing how many more have this problem, I contacted Vauxhall Motors at which they said they would do some investigating etc, with the end result that they appreciate what I am saying but did not class it as a fault and basically'put up with it'. I don't think that is appropriate on a new vehicle or acceptable. So, I wonder if anyone else has this annoying noise, it could be a batch of 'faulty' transmission units at that time, but unable to get any further without any pressure from other users.
Graham S.

msrk

Post by msrk »

At last !!!

Somebody else with the same noise. I am pleased/sorry to say I have exactly the same noise as you describe under precisely the same condition/s. I have the 1.2 petrol manual and have experienced the noise from new, May this year.
Lock-N

Post by Lock-N »

Sorry to say I have the same problem and my Daughters car is the same both 1.2t Petrol .I have radio on and can still be heard .Pretty sure Vauxhall won’t acknowledge there’s an issue because after the 3 year warranty is up then it’s down to each owner to foot the bill for a new Gear box .All with this issue should ask Vauxhall to log each customers complaint for future reference Or at least when making a complaint be given a reference number that can be verified in the future that we made a complaint about the noise from the gear box
2019.Vauxhall Grandland X Elite Nav White. 1.2 Turbo Panoramic Roof-Wind Deflectors- Mudguards-window shades-& Side Step

Now got Grandland 2022 White & Black The Facelift model GS Line Wind Deflectors Fitted Rear Sun Shades Mudguards Side Step
msrk

Post by msrk »

I’m not entirely sure it’s the gearbox. If you dip the clutch and disengage the transmission the noise remains.
Mrlee321

Post by Mrlee321 »

Vauxhall are currently manufacturing a part to get rid of this noise. I’ve been battling with them for 10 months about this. First of all they said it was a characteristic of the car but, when I drove another Grandland this one didn’t have this noise. I then found out that Vauxhall use two Peugeot gearboxes in the Grandland one which make this annoying noise and one that doesn’t so they can’t say it’s a characteristic in all vehicles within the model with the 1.2 engine. Even if it was, it is not acceptable in this day and age for a transmission to make this whirring whining noise. After many many emails two requests reject the vehicle they are now manufacturing this part. Vauxhall Finance have been useless and are clearly siding with the manufacturer hence the name.
Make sure you get down to the dealer or complain to customer care so you can get this part fitted too. Even after this part is fitted my faith in the vehicle has gone. This noise must be causing some kind of damage wear and tear. I’m no expert but, it doesn’t sound healthy and looks like Vauxhall just want to cover it up with a harmonic mount.
After this debacle I will never buy a Vauxhall again! Peugeot’s are know for their faults and if I’d have know it was a Peugeot 3008 under the skin I would have not touched it with a barge pole! I can’t wait to get shot of it!
blasterbates

Post by blasterbates »

hi has anybody had the harmonic damper fitted ti their grand land to sop the whining noise on their transmission and has it work
Mrlee321

Post by Mrlee321 »

Hi. Yes I’ve had this damper fitted and has made no difference. My case is currently with the ombudsman.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I’ve got a 18 reg 1.2 sport nav, it had to go into the garage to get 2nd and 3rd gears and synchromesh rings replaced as it was crunching when I changed between gears, had to wait 6 weeks to get the parts for Germany or France. It’s still not the best gearbox I’ve used.
Grandland X sold.
Mrlee321

Post by Mrlee321 »

It’s shocking build quality. It’s not all gearboxes fitted to the model though so it’s not a characteristic as they say.
Folly

Post by Folly »

Hello, anyone know where the scary socket is on the 1.2 grandland. Changed oil but spanner is showing on screen. Regards, folly