Wet timing belt disintegrated, new engine required outside warranty

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Adzkyle

Post by Adzkyle »

I’ve been in contact with them again and they refuse to help so motor ombudsman it is.

Jamie_4544

Post by Jamie_4544 »

Hi all,

I’ve had this wet belt issue in early 2023 where my car needed a new sump wet belt etc etc wasn’t as bad as my partners grandland which needed a whole new engine. Anyway to cut a long story short Vauxhall where nothing but helpful resolving this issue and done both are car’s completely free of charge due to there being a design flaw with these engines.

Speed up to a few days ago same issue with my car where it apparently has low oil level. Taking ages to start most days but does fire up. Also today I noticed when reversing it was jittering abit. Now unfortunately has an engine repair needed light on the dash. Same tail tail signs I had last year before the fix?

Question is where do I stand with Vauxhall if it is the same issue will it be covered etc I’m just worrying that’s all really don’t want to pay out for a new engine etc if it is that? Full service history through Vauxhall never missed one? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jamie

IMG_1834.jpeg

satellitemandaz

Post by satellitemandaz »

Hi Jamie
Just had mine serviced and they said that I was due a timing belt as it is coming up to 6 years old, only 12,000 miles, this wet belt system is quite scary reading your post, full Vauxhall SH, they said about £600 ?they said it would show low oil Pressure Cheers Darren
Sport NAV 1.2T diamond cut wheels, topaz blue, upgrades side steps, wind deflectors, mud flaps.
Rhysp9

Post by Rhysp9 »

Hi there would it be possible to also have a copy of the email.
I had the dreaded warning light yesterday. Took it to my local garage who confirmed the wet belt issue (only done 35k) and said it would cost me approximately £1500 to replace. Was about to book in till I googled and saw this forum
Thank Rhys
Mmcdermott

Post by Mmcdermott »

I have had the dreaded oil pressure fault message twice now, currently awaiting courtesy car from the dealership before we can leave it in because we have a small baby so can't be without a car.
We bought it used through a dealership that gave us a years warranty with spoticar used cars so not worried about having to foot the cost (hopefully).
My question is, has anyone encountered this problem again down the line? Car only has 37,000 miles, only 3,000 on it since it was bought last year. So debating once the issue is fixed would it be worthwhile thinking of trading it in for a different car given the low miles on it. Would love people's thoughts!
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Mmcdermott wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:13 pm I have had the dreaded oil pressure fault message twice now, currently awaiting courtesy car from the dealership before we can leave it in because we have a small baby so can't be without a car.
We bought it used through a dealership that gave us a years warranty with spoticar used cars so not worried about having to foot the cost (hopefully).
My question is, has anyone encountered this problem again down the line? Car only has 37,000 miles, only 3,000 on it since it was bought last year. So debating once the issue is fixed would it be worthwhile thinking of trading it in for a different car given the low miles on it. Would love people's thoughts!
All cars have there issues so even trading it in you could get a car worse than you have now. If this is the only issue and you like the car once the belt has been done just keep an eye on it.
Even if you have extended warranty how old is the car? As Vauxhall have a special warranty up to 6 years for the wetbelt issue they just dont want customers to know this.
I didnt have the oil light but noticed my belt cracking on mine. I contacted my local dealership and contacted the Vauxhall CEO office it all got covered under the special warranty.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
chrislee133

Post by chrislee133 »

Pentagon Loughborough told me the special warranty has now been extended from 6 to 10 years
Elite Nav 1.2 Petrol Auto Diamond Black
Rita231

Post by Rita231 »

Everyone ask for the new modified wet belt to be put on your car, I've got which what the new PSA 1.2 pure tech pergeout engine has on the newer models of Grandland that's what they fitted onto my car as I told them I knew it had a defective timing belt upon it. So let them know you know they have design fault on the older models and ask them to fit the new modified belt onto your car, they fitted a new oil sump to my car and everything honestly go with all the knowledge to them and don't let up!
Rita231

Post by Rita231 »

Rhysp9 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:45 am Hi there would it be possible to also have a copy of the email.
I had the dreaded warning light yesterday. Took it to my local garage who confirmed the wet belt issue (only done 35k) and said it would cost me approximately £1500 to replace. Was about to book in till I googled and saw this forum
Thank Rhys
What's your email? I'll send you the email that I sent to the CEO and also customer care.
chaymond

Post by chaymond »

I too have now fallen victim to this fault. Just over 32,000 miles on a 2019 1.2 Elite Nav. Taken to an independent garage and confirmed the belt is cracked and clogging the oil sump. Going to need new belt, pump and oil change. But thanks to this forum I’ve been able to at least furnish myself with the facts. Already complained online to customer care and sent an email including the CEO but no reply. Customer care rang yesterday but won’t do anything until a Vauxhall dealership does the diagnostics. Said about contributing but I’m pushing for them to cover all costs. Trouble is nearest one can’t fit me in for 6 weeks so trying others but not having much luck.

839d15cf-b573-4bb5-84d6-96ede63849a1.jpeg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post