Strange eggy smell

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Stevie340

Post by Stevie340 »

Hi all
New to forum so be gentle…
Wife has the 1.2 manual 19 plate. Noticed on weekend strange eggy smell occasionally coming into car. Mainly at standstill but also at slow speeds . I’ve checked air con, don’t think it’s the source, exhaust pipe smells normal omission as wondered if cat…. But smells fine. It’s coming from engine bay but is not constant…..
No EML, no drop in performance and no other fault on check button
Any ideas? Many thanks

pd2023x

Post by pd2023x »

I'd say unless you left some egg sandwiches somewhere and forgot about them, it most likely would be the catalytic converter. When the catalytic converter becomes clogged, instead of turning hydrogen sulfide exhaust gases into water or steam, it instead turns it into sulfur dioxide, which results in the rotten egg smell. That said, most catalytic converters are located under the vehicle towards the exhaust which makes it easily accessible to thieves, but there could be a blockage and the smell is coming back to the engine compartment.

I recall on a previous car I burned through 3x catalytic converters, literally they caught fire because there was a fault on the EMC which caused neat fuel to be injected into the converter then it would ignite, eventually required the EMC being replaced. Not a Grandland but a previous Vauxhall.

A quick google from JDpower says "If your car emits a rotten egg smell, there might be a problem with the catalytic converter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, or even the old transmission fluid. Whatever the cause, if you get the rotten egg smell in your car, take your vehicle to the mechanic as soon as possible and resolve this problem."
Stevie340

Post by Stevie340 »

Thx for reply pd2023x
I thought cat to start but no smell from exhaust at all.

Turned out to be washer fluid stinking. Flushed through and added some Milton… now all fine.