Grandland X 1.2 2018 - Burning fuel within 2 weeks!

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
horyna93

Post by horyna93 »

Hello all!

My 1.8 2018 Grandland is still burning fuel very quickly! I do around 400 miles a week, and previously it was bone dry within 4 weeks. The last 2 times, it has only lasted around 2 weeks before the oil being completely empty again.

Vauxhall said there was a bit of blue/black smoke when doing high rev counts so may need a new engine?? The wet belt is however fine.

I did have 0w30 oil in it and they have told me I should use ow20. They said I need to pay to have the oil taken out, a new filter and then topped up with 0w20 to remove any trace of 0w30, and then monitor to see how it goes.

I spoke with a garage who said they cannot see how changing the oil from 0w30 to 20 will make a diff as it’s thinner and will prob burn even quicker. He seems to think it could be a piston head so defo a new engine, which is what Vauxhall said it could also be. I’ve only had the car just 4 months and it only came with 3 months warranty.

I did mention to the dealership i bought it from during its warranty window that it seems to be losing oil, but I thought it had got better so didn't follow up on it further but it has since got worse. So I think i'd have a legit case against them despite it being out of warranty?

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Obviously Vauxhall want me to change the oil and see how it goes, but the garage locally said this wont make a difference and suggests general diagnostics. I am a bit lost on what to do.

horyna93

Post by horyna93 »

So 2 local garages seem to defo think that changing the oil will not make a difference and I should just go straight to diagnostics.
1 garage said I should follow Vauxhals advice, which is obv do a complete oil change from 0w-30 to ow-20 (Despite me filling it up with 0w-20 when it was bone dry on the stick)

No idea which one to do!
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

I would say your best option is to contact Vauxhall customer care and explain the issue so you have a case logged.
It may of had only 3 months warranty but you could still have a case with an ombudsman if it got that far.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Veritas

Post by Veritas »

Seen 0W20 is thinner it could lead to more oil consumption IMO. ( I think you mean oil consumption in the first sentence )
Using up twice the amount of fuel is kind of bizar. What does the boardcomputer say?
Maybe a leak in the tank / fuel lines, Else its probably the engine.

If you have mentioned the oil loss within the warranty you should be eligible but I'm guessing they will do anything to prevent that...
Do you have a legal counsel insurance ? Maybe you can call them to be prepared at the dealer?
Brianglo

Post by Brianglo »

I had an advisory last week of an oil leak . I haven’t lost any oil since serviced last December. Vauxhalls have always serviced. No idea what had happened to. Be rectified on a service
Jotoni

Post by Jotoni »

Car has just been returned to me after many months away for repair. Like you my oil was draining after a couple of weeks with “low oil please top up” message.

Vauxhall garage initially changed the timing belt but the problem persisted so…back in it went! They’ve assessed it’s an oil leak at sump area. They replaced the sump and seal and as a bonus steam cleaned. Let’s see how we go … it’s only been a week but hopefully the oil light stays off.
Just as a side - I’ve attached a screen grab of a recall notice on some 2018 models. Good luck to you and me.

IMG_8360.png

Jotoni

Post by Jotoni »

Spoke too soon…”low oil level please top up” warning back on 3 weeks after picking it up from garage. Any idea? Tempted just to top up every month until I can get rid😡 Wet Belt - replaced & New Sump and still oil keeps dropping . 1.2 turbo petrol 2018

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post