UNSTABLE RIDE ON ROUGH SURFACES

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
RichT

Post by RichT »

Hi. New to the group having just taken delivery of a company car, Vauxhall grandland X sri130 20,000 miles on the clock. My question is this - has anyone else had an issue with the ride quality of their grandland, whereas, when i drive along a road which has had poor road repairs or there is any rough service, the vehicles rear end lurches from side to side, so much so that it actually feels unsafe to drive. I've had the car up on a ramp (I'm in the trade) and checked underneath and nothing appears to be untoward, so wonder if this is a common trait of the model. Thinking it was me, i asked the wife to drive it yesterday and she now refuses to drive it as was so scared by it. Any views on this most welcome.

Vainona70

Post by Vainona70 »

I find the ride quality is generally good, however it is upset by larger bumps or pot holes which can be disconcerting especially in high speed corners.

What tyre pressures are you running?
Grandland X 1.2T 8 speed Auto Tech Line Nav (All Road pack, Park & Go pack 2 and Emergency Spare wheel)
RichT

Post by RichT »

Hi. Currently running 2.2 bar, only ever me in the car. I had 4 new tyres fitted recently (swapped Michelins for Continentals) but didn't make any difference to the ride, though. In general the ride is excellent, i travel up and down motorways all day long, but as soon as i hit a B road i have to be really alert and watching road surfaces as it catches me out now and again.
Vainona70

Post by Vainona70 »

Ok tyre pressures & tyres are good, so not sure what to suggest. I find the lane keep assist unsettling on B roads, so your issue could be a combination of lane keep 'assist' & poor road surfaces upsetting the car.
Grandland X 1.2T 8 speed Auto Tech Line Nav (All Road pack, Park & Go pack 2 and Emergency Spare wheel)
RichT

Post by RichT »

Thanks, Vainona. I will see if the lane assist being switched off helps on next journey, then, anything is worth a try. May also up the tyre -pressures a bit as well, process of elimination i suppose. Thanks again for reply.
ianwat23

Post by ianwat23 »

I’ve tried switching the lane assist off when going along B roads and it made no difference whatsoever with the shocking rear end bouncing which the car suffers from. I’m looking at slightly lowering the suspension to see if that helps. I’m used to my previous car being lowered but have opted at the minute to keep it standard as it’s supposed to be a family car, but even the missus has noticed the bad handling so I’m eyeing up different spring kits to see which would be best.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post