Battery refurb

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
brucey

Post by brucey »

Hi all,
This may seem crazy but I just bought a Hybrid4 after reading about all the issues on this forum. When I test drove the car, it came up in eco mode and refused to run on electric power only. These are the classic signs of a knackered battery.

So, I'm about to begin the round of dealers, writing to head office, making social media posts etc. in order to secure myself a new battery. Although it would be nice to get an AGM battery, I think the chances of that happening are pretty slim. For some reason Yuasa have issued this warning on swapping battery types: https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/ ... t-warning/ However I haven't found any justification for this anywhere else and I think someone at Yuasa has been paid off by Vauxhall LOL :lol:

I have no intention of attempting to swap batteries myself especially as my car is under warranty. But I do have some experience with other cars and electrics, know enough about electronics to be dangerous and have the necessary gear. One overnight session would probably be enough to resurrect normal working and save all the grief of visiting the dealer.

So, first the device itself, it costs about 20 quid on Fleabay or your choice of dodgy Chinese electronic supplier. Just search for 8A charger and if it looks like this it's probably the same one under a different brand. You can switch it into reconditioning mode and let it do its thing. I don't know why you'd spend more on anything else, this really is excellent.

Anyway, the point of this TLDR post is the red plastic jobby on the positive battery terminal, I'd like to get that off without damaging it. Has anyone attempted to do this? Let me know if you think I'm mad...

batt2.jpg

batt4.jpg

-
Grandland Ultimate Nav 2020 Hybrid 4 :x

Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

The RED plastic is a quick-release lever. Raise it and the clamp opens for tool-free removal from the battery terminal.
2020 Hybrid 4
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

Hybrid 4 12V behaviour.jpg

My Hybrid 4 does not have Start/Stop. The button to disable Start/Stop does not exist.
I am attaching a photo to show the odd behaviour of 12V batteries on Hybrid 4.
Now we are driving a 'computer-on-wheels', everything we thought we knew is out-of-date.
2020 Hybrid 4
brucey

Post by brucey »

@Moss5 thanks a lot that's massively helpful...the key then if you want to remove the red tab is to make sure you wire up a secondary battery to keep that positive terminal at 12V, before you pull it up! So where you put your crocodile clips I'd wire in a secondary battery.

I'm confused about the tailgate battery??? Is that another 12v one? Where is that? Or are you referring to the high voltage battery?? I will break out my multimeter... and see what readings I get. Unfortunately my car is in use at the moment so can't tinker with it, maybe at the weekend.

Agreed with your last picture, I'd guess that if the engine isn't running you have no alternator generating electricity, but you need to keep the aux electrics working so the 300V battery supplies charge to the 12V battery at 15V, because that seems a suspicious number (like its out of a regulated supply, an alternator would likely chuck out 14.7 volts or something like that).
-
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

@brucey, if you have a motorised tailgate, you will find a dedicated 12V battery in the boot (under the floor).
2020 Hybrid 4
brucey

Post by brucey »

@Moss5 I saw the battery regulator under the boot liner but thought it was not a separate battery, I'll have to investigate more.

Anyway I decided not to try a battery reconditioning because it seems to have solved it's problem itself. I spent a lot of time getting it up to date with the latest satnav software so now I can control the car remotely, and also put another 100miles of pure petrol driving on the clock. That seems to have now given the battery enough of a kick start to allow it to start up and drive in electric mode for the first time. We'll just have to see if it continues to behave itself!
-

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post