Grandland X Engine oil pressure fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Baronoli

Post by Baronoli »

metro_mac wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:38 am ***UPDATE***
New engine required.
The warranty is picking up the cost for this, thankfully - however engines on backlog and could be a while before we get the car back on the road. Currently have a Crossland 22 plate as a courtesy car and Evans Halshaw charging us £15 a day (YES A DAY) for insurance on it. I am in dispute with the dealership about this. Why should I be out of pocket for a well known issue with these engines, why are they not recalling them. £15 a day is very excessive for insurance. Its already cost us £300 and its been in the garage 20 days with no end result in sight. I will update on the fight regarding the rip off insurance.
That sounds like terrible service from the dealership. My dealership gave me a corsa for 2 months when they had mine, no charge.
Old Grandland (Sold 'Nov 22):
Elite Nav 1.2 Ameythyst Purple

New Grandland
Ultimate PHEV - Cobalt Blue

metro_mac

Post by metro_mac »

***NEW UPDATE***
So after a small fight over the phone Vauxhall are not only picking up the cost for the new engine but the cost of the courtesy car. Wooohooo !! The courtesy car had to be handed back tho and swapped for a Europcar hire car.
We now have a 21 plate Grandland Elite full leather, heated and cooling seats, glass roof. We demanded a like for like hire car and we got it.
Car still in the garage after 2 months. Engine is onsite they are short on technicians at the moment so hopefully not too long now, until its back on the road. Disappointed with Evans Halshaw they have been a bit of a shambles to be honest, all over the place with communication.

This engine oil pressure thing must cost Vauxhall a fortune, its not costing me that's the main thing.
Millers

Post by Millers »

My Grandland x was one of the original showroom models and I have just got the engine warning light come up with “repair needed” it is in the dealership now and they have told me that extensive damage has been caused by the Cam belt shredding and blocking up the oil filter, pump and other components, they advised me to contact Vauxhall customer services and make a strong complaint to them and demand that something be done about it, however, the young lady that I spoke to was ultra polite and very apologetic, I just could not get angry at her lol, she took all my details regarding my complaint and issued me with a reference number, she said that I should hear from Vauxhall within 48 hours with their decision. Although my car is out of warranty I have a full service history all carried out by Vauxhall and according to my service schedule the Cam belt does not need changing until November 2023, so in my eyes the cam belt is faulty due to shredding and my car is very low mileage (under 40000 miles). I will update again when they get back to me.
edgejedi

Post by edgejedi »

Hi Millers, my car is the same generation...no faults for me but fingers crossed for you that they support you.
Jase
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Grandland 2018, Sport Nav 1.2 (130), Ruby Red
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Millers wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:31 pm My Grandland x was one of the original showroom models and I have just got the engine warning light come up with “repair needed” it is in the dealership now and they have told me that extensive damage has been caused by the Cam belt shredding and blocking up the oil filter, pump and other components, they advised me to contact Vauxhall customer services and make a strong complaint to them and demand that something be done about it, however, the young lady that I spoke to was ultra polite and very apologetic, I just could not get angry at her lol, she took all my details regarding my complaint and issued me with a reference number, she said that I should hear from Vauxhall within 48 hours with their decision. Although my car is out of warranty I have a full service history all carried out by Vauxhall and according to my service schedule the Cam belt does not need changing until November 2023, so in my eyes the cam belt is faulty due to shredding and my car is very low mileage (under 40000 miles). I will update again when they get back to me.
Hi Millers my car is the same Generation as yours. I have had no faults so far. Hopefully you get somewhere if not try the Vauxhall CEO office.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
nrcharlotte

Post by nrcharlotte »

Hey everyone

so at the start of 2022 my engine oil pressure light came on..

Oh what fun it was. Thankfully for me there are forums such as these. Vauxhall booked my car in i told them the issue and then told them that it is because of the wet timing belt and that there was a fault with these cars regarding the timing belt, they said they would have a look.

Went away 3 weeks later my car has had a new timing belt under warranty.

A week later my engine oil too low light comes on to which im thinking that cant be right because i know they would have had to have emptied the engine of oil when changing the belt and of course they had to have refilled it.

Im still having an issue with engine oil 5 months later.

I have had to refill it 3x in the mater of 5 months and my light has just come on again after it being filled 3 weeks ago.

There are no leaks or spillages on the floor i do not have black smoke from the exhaust etc. so looks like im not loosing it that way.

My car is a 2017 plate and has just clocked over 45 thousand miles

does anyone know what this could be?

Any info would be appreciated.
Baronoli

Post by Baronoli »

nrcharlotte wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:09 am Hey everyone

so at the start of 2022 my engine oil pressure light came on..

Oh what fun it was. Thankfully for me there are forums such as these. Vauxhall booked my car in i told them the issue and then told them that it is because of the wet timing belt and that there was a fault with these cars regarding the timing belt, they said they would have a look.

Went away 3 weeks later my car has had a new timing belt under warranty.

A week later my engine oil too low light comes on to which im thinking that cant be right because i know they would have had to have emptied the engine of oil when changing the belt and of course they had to have refilled it.

Im still having an issue with engine oil 5 months later.

I have had to refill it 3x in the mater of 5 months and my light has just come on again after it being filled 3 weeks ago.

There are no leaks or spillages on the floor i do not have black smoke from the exhaust etc. so looks like im not loosing it that way.

My car is a 2017 plate and has just clocked over 45 thousand miles

does anyone know what this could be?

Any info would be appreciated.

We're in the same boat and I'm filling oil stupidly...

There's something called a PCV valve that regulates pressure to the engine, the 1.2 Puretech engine in the 3008 had the same issue and the engine is affectionally known as the "Purecrap". The valve gets stuck open, drawing in more oil and releasing it as vapour, as the engines are cleaner they don't burn with blue smoke like they used to.

Vauxhall wanted £145 to look at the issue, but I took it to a local garage who resolved it for me by cleaning it up, refitting and also replacing my oil cap as it wasn't airtight.

I'd try get someone to look at the PCV valve first, I believe the Grandlands have them built into the camcover, so replacement is costly (circa 700 for a Peugeot)

A quick google of "peugeot 3008 1.2 Oil Consumption" will show much more detail on that forum!
Old Grandland (Sold 'Nov 22):
Elite Nav 1.2 Ameythyst Purple

New Grandland
Ultimate PHEV - Cobalt Blue
Kevin Watt

Post by Kevin Watt »

Grandland X 1.2 Turbo SRi Nav 5 2020 Plate 18,800miles.

Car gave a jolt and "Engine requires repair" on dashboard. Car recovered and diagnostic confirmed engine misfire cylinder 1. Spark plug had broken off at electrode and the electrode went through the cylinder. New engine required. Absolute nightmare. Full service history but Vauxhall required full BOM and not just the service card from the first couple of services which were done prior to us owning the car. Managed to obtain these and warranty claim granted. This was middle of July, several missed delivery dates later we picked the car up last Saturday in October. On Monday, only about 15 miles later "Oil Pressure Fault, Stop Car". Started car again and fault had cleared. Checked oil levels and all ok. Next morning, same fault but again cleared by switching off and on again. Called Arnold Clark who fitted the new engine and was told to call the AA. Not the responce I woukd expect considering the service and experience so far. I forgot to mention the £650 bill for the 2yr "manufacturer service" required to keep the warranty current. When asked what this included i was told an oil filter (new engine has just been fitted), oil filter o-ring (included in the box with a new filter and don't damage the old one taking the filter off AND it's just had a new engine), lubricant change (IT'S JUST HAD A NEW ENGINE) and finally a pollen filter. When pointed out that the only thing mentioned not already replaced under warranty was the pollen fillter which is £16.99 at our local parts shop and a 15 minute job to replace and all i really needed was Arnold Clark to stamp the book, they reduced this fee to £160 which we paid. Can't be wet belt issue, oil level is fine and it's a new engine done only 20 - 30 miles. AA couldn't get the fault to come back on so car was driven home. Not happy with the support from Arnold Clark and i only managed to speak to Vauxhall for about 15 seconds in July from the side of the M6, 350 miles from home when i gave my postcode and was transferred to my local Vauxhall dealer, Arnold Clark. Had many Vauxhalls over the years, Corsas, Astras, Cavaliers and Vectras but this may well be my last.
Kevin Watt

Post by Kevin Watt »

Long story short. After a couple of unsuccesful visits to Arnold Clarke, we were told to bring the car in and they would replace the oil pressure switch. I was very sceptical as a faulty switch woukdn't normally have a pattern to it. They did (or perhaps just linked it out), and it's back to being the best car I've owned..... until next time.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post