Recent Vauxhall Update failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Xubuntu50

Post by Xubuntu50 »

Over the last few days (13th to 17th Jan) I've been unable to download files using Vauxhall Update. The download fails with "An error occurred while retrieivng update data" which I think is happening very shortly after attempting connection to their data server. I'm using the latest Vauxhall Update program and have never had a problem in the past with older versions. Anyone else recently had problems or successes downloading?

Xubuntu50

Post by Xubuntu50 »

Finally analysed the bits to and from line with WireShark and could see the far end server not responding. Tried again this morning and all appears ok. It would be better if Vauxhall Update had generated a more accurate error message such as "Server Unavailable".
brucey

Post by brucey »

Hello Xubuntu.. I found the download from Vauxhall was failing so I figured out the map updates were available from here: http://download.tomtom.com/OEM/PSA/MAP/ ... _WAVE4.tar
Which is good, because it means then I can put that file where Vauxhall update would expect to see it and retrieve the other nav update from Vauxhall. However... do you or anyone have the URL for the Nav software on the Vauxhall server? Then I could skip Vauxhall update entirely...
-
Grandland Ultimate Nav 2020 Hybrid 4 :x
Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

Xubuntu50 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:36 am Finally analysed the bits to and from line with WireShark and could see the far end server not responding. Tried again this morning and all appears ok. It would be better if Vauxhall Update had generated a more accurate error message such as "Server Unavailable".
Did pinging the sever not work? Or was it the actual file server not web server that had fallen over?
2021B Grandland X Elite NAV
Xubuntu50

Post by Xubuntu50 »

It is some while since I could not access the server and unfortunately (as it turns out) I did not save the data file captured by Wireshark. Hence...

Brucey: I can't remember the URL (or even if there was one) because I focused on tracking progress with the hex/binary address for the destination. Neither can I remember whether the true address was built in to the software or had been returned by a DNS server.

Cyberbob: I didn't use a ping but looked at the messaging captured by Wireshark. Pretty certain that the failure was not by the public data network but was most likely the far end data/file server, or at least their side of their gateway. Of course, it's quite likely that Vauxhall don't run their own server for customer updates but farm this out to a third party - somewhere in the world. Maybe Vauxhall weren't even aware of an issue.
brucey

Post by brucey »

It took forever, and I still haven't got the map updates into the car, but I found that I needed to run the Vauxhall Update software on a windows 10 vanilla laptop, not any of my other boxes. Luckily I got the sat nav software updated to the latest version then it failed on the map. It seemed that you need to contact the Vauxhall servers either late at night (after 11pm) or really early in the morning (7am) to both get a connection to them and download the software. I've got the latest map, just need to upload it to the car...
-
Grandland Ultimate Nav 2020 Hybrid 4 :x

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post