Wet timing belt disintegrated, new engine required outside warranty

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
dervdave

Post by dervdave »

There is a major issue with the timing belts on the these engines, Peugeot / Citroen have had a recall for the same engines.
Vauxhall should not be charging for replacements.

Grandland@18

Post by Grandland@18 »

Just as an update, car now been in garage 4 weeks waiting for parts, Vauxhall have agreed to help with £2500 bill, won’t know how much until I collect. Fingers crossed, will update in case it helps anyone else
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Thanks for the update hopefully you get it back soon.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
DaPa

Post by DaPa »

Has the been any information on whether Vauxhall has updated the timing belt on the 1.2T?

DaPa
Dr-rocroc

Post by Dr-rocroc »

My car 18 reg G. L. X. Been with my local Vauxhall dealer for 2 weeks. They couldn’t fit me in till 11th Feb. Engine error stop vehicle came up on dash.. Then oil pressure warning came up following day This was Jan 31st. They’re done a diagnostic £95. Rang me Saturday. For go ahead for another diagnostic , another £95. Why do they need two I wonder. They know what the faults are/were.
Valer

Post by Valer »

I'd question them as to exactly what the second diagnostic is for and why it wasn't all done on the first one,
then depending if the car is under warranty/guarantee or not, if the charges are deductible from the final bill or refundable under the warranty
Retired Vx Tech,currently drives an Astra K 1.0t SRi
Diagnostic Equipment, Drewtech Mongoose Pro GM2 running GDS2,Opcom 200603
Vainona70

Post by Vainona70 »

Not sure if this would help us check timing belt condition.

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563781 ... belt-drive

I've just had my 3rd annual service & MOT at 22,000 miles, however have a new car on order with delivery likely in 6 months.
Grandland X 1.2T 8 speed Auto Tech Line Nav (All Road pack, Park & Go pack 2 and Emergency Spare wheel)
Phil x

Post by Phil x »

From my posts in crossland x forums, I've had similar issue and logged complaint with DVSA and refused to budge with vauxhall.

DVSA findings

DVSA and the manufacturer have now finished their investigation into your concerns and I can provide you with the outcome of this.

The Peugeot Recall you mentioned for this issue that is already in place did not cover your vehicle at that time.

The manufacturer have been investigating the possibility of other vehicles affected and had a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) in place to ensure any failures were rectified for the customer and pick up any failures so they could investigate them further as necessary, following this they are now in the process of implementing a Recall to include other affected Makes and models of vehicles which will include your specific vehicle that are fitted with similar components to the original recall and is due to be launched shortly once the manufacturer have all the provisions in place.

This will include if required the software update to provide earlier warning of an issue and a physical check and if necessary replacement of any affected components. The final details for the Recall will be published on the www.gov.uk website when the Recall is implemented by the manufacturer and all affected owners will then be contacted by the manufacturer with instructions on what they need to do to get this carried out.

Hope that helps
Cargo42

Post by Cargo42 »

Hi Phil, that’s an interesting posts and many thanks. Hopefully it will helpful to us all with reference to the wet timing belt issue. I have a 1.2 Auto Grandland X that was first registered in January 2019 but have no idea when it was built. Does anyone know how to determine the actual build date of a vehicle? Should the software pickup on a faulty timing belt? Your initial complaint and the TSB has certainly triggered a response and trust that Vauxhall honour the findings. I’ll be looking out on the gov website and checking with my local dealer in due course. Many thanks again for your research and information which will help to reassure vehicle owners with the problem. Safe driving.
Phil x

Post by Phil x »

Find date of car

Google vauxhall vin decoder or opel vin decoder.
Put your vin in and get lots of info including date car was manufactured.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post