Wet timing belt disintegrated, new engine required outside warranty

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
2018 Grandland

Post by 2018 Grandland »

Any car with the 1.2 turbo engine could potentially be affected.

Baronoli

Post by Baronoli »

Had this happen to myself, luckily still in warranty, at about 32k miles and they managed resolve. Was told it was a poor quality belt, surely if it's a design issue they should be resolving?
Old Grandland (Sold 'Nov 22):
Elite Nav 1.2 Ameythyst Purple

New Grandland
Ultimate PHEV - Cobalt Blue
DaPa

Post by DaPa »

The 1.2 Engine is it the Peugeot/Citroen engine or similar?
DaPa

Post by DaPa »

There seem to be quite a few issues with this over on the Peugeot forums.

DaPa
dervdave

Post by dervdave »

DaPa wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:00 am I have a 69 plate Grandland X, does this year of vehicle suffer the same issues?

DaPa
They have supposedly uprated the belts but have reduced the time/mileage period for changing it
JT123

Post by JT123 »

I have a 68 plate 1.2 sport turbo grandland x and the engine light came on. I got it towed to a WJ King garage over 4 weeks ago and was advised the cam belt had disintegrated. My car was 1 week out of the 3 year warranty the car comes with, so despite the mechanic telling me vauxhall would not pay for it, I spoke to a lovely man at customer care who faught my corner and agreed they would cover the costs as a goodwill gesture. The mechanic told me it should take around a week and a half to get the parts in and complete the job.

After not hearing anything for 2 weeks I phoned the mechanic at WJ King yesterday to be told the cambelt hasn't arrived and he has no idea when this will be, and as someone previously said they haven't been able to give me a courtesy car. They have had my car almost 5 weeks and without my car I cannot get to work. I was told by the mechanic to phone vauxhall and chase the part myself? Isn't that down to the office team in the garage to do, not me?

How long has anyone else waited? Also was the car fine after? I'm worried about any long term effects. I've only had the car 9 months and really like it but I am worried its going to be a nightmare of ongoing issues. I've always had vauxhalls a corsa and an astra with no problems for 15 years finally treated myself to an upgrade and maybe the worst thing I done.
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

https://autospruce.com/1-2-puretech-eng ... liability/
I found this interesting, particularly the reply from Israel.
2020 Hybrid 4
BBGrandlandX

Post by BBGrandlandX »

Hi what was your outcome on this? It's just happened to myself and not sure of the best thing to do..either change strainer/ oil etc and sell the car or just pay to sort and keep but unsure of the damage to the engine.. It seems most eco friendly engines are going towards the timing belt that runs through oil so I feel whatever car I get next will have the same issues anyway. Be good to hear from you or any others that have had this problem out of warranty and what their solution was.
BB
Loys01

Post by Loys01 »

We have recently had an issue with the engine and have been without the car for 4 weeks. We got the car in May 2019 so well within 3 year warranty. Vauxhall are refusing point blank to fix engine under warranty as 1 service was missed due to there being a global pandemic. Customer Care have done nothing to fight the case. Can anyone offer advice on where should go to fight this. We are paying a vauxhall finance loan but they say their liability ends after 6 mths. I am at my wits end. There is only 30,000 miles on the car.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Loys01 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:29 pm We have recently had an issue with the engine and have been without the car for 4 weeks. We got the car in May 2019 so well within 3 year warranty. Vauxhall are refusing point blank to fix engine under warranty as 1 service was missed due to there being a global pandemic. Customer Care have done nothing to fight the case. Can anyone offer advice on where should go to fight this. We are paying a vauxhall finance loan but they say their liability ends after 6 mths. I am at my wits end. There is only 30,000 miles on the car.
Hi Loys01 . Your best option is to contact the Vauxhall CEO office and see if they can help.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post